CHARLES PLATKIN, PhD, JD, MPH, is a nutrition, fitness and public health advocate, whose syndicated health, nutrition and fitness column, the Diet Detective appears in daily newspapers and media outlets throughout the United States. Dr. Platkin is also the founder of DietDetective.com, which offers more than 500 articles and interviews on nutrition, food, and fitness. Platkin is a health expert and blogger featured on Everydayhealth.com and Active.com . Additionally, Platkin is a Distinguished Lecturer at the Hunter College in New York City and the Director of the Hunter College New York City Food Policy Center.
Dr. Platkin has been quoted as a health expert in thousands of publications, including USA Today, the Los Angeles Times, the Chicago Tribune, Oprah, Time, Newsweek, Ladies Home Journal, Men’s Health, Shape, Self and Fitness. He has also appeared on NBC’s The Today Show, ABC News Nightline, National Public Radio, CNN, CNBC, CBS’s The Early Show, the BBC, and others. Platkin was the host of WE tv’s series, I Want To Save Your Life.
Platkin, was also the founder of Integrated Wellness Solutions (IWS). IWS worked to develop corporate wellness initiatives including sophisticated online health tools, algorithm based diet and fitness programs, as well as print related content to market health behavior change. IWS also worked with pharmaceutical companies (including Roche and Pfizer) creating digital strategies and tools to assist with patient behavior change. These programs included the first ever Registered Dietitian nutritional counseling via email program with more than 100,000 patients.
Dr. Platkin was the president and founder of Marinex, a forerunner in health consulting and media relations. Additionally, he was the General Counsel and Vice-President of News Communications, Inc., a publicly-traded newspaper and magazine company based in Manhattan that published The Hill in Washington, and Dan’s Papers in the Hamptons, among others.
He is a member of the American Society for Nutritional Sciences, Sigma Xi (Scientific Research Society), the Delta Omega Honorary Society in Public Health and the American Council on Exercise. He is also an ACE certified personal trainer and licensed to practice law in New York State.
Dr. Platkin is the author of seven books. His first book, “Breaking the Pattern” was a bestseller in hardcover; it has been used by addiction clinics to assist patients with resolving drug and alcohol-related issues and more than 20 universities around the country as a text to teach behavioral change techniques to nutrition and dietetic counseling interns. His latest books are The Diet Detective’s Count Down (Simon and Schuster), The Diet Detective’s Calorie Bargain Bible (Simon and Schuster), The Diet Detective’s Diet Starter Kit (Diversion), and The Diet Detective’s All American Diet (Rodale).
Platkin is a co-founder and strategic adviser at Diversion Books (www.DiversionBooks.com), a leading book publisher and Sleep School (SleepSchool.me), a health site devoted to healthy sleeping.
Dr. Platkin is also the founder of The Health Lab (www.thehealthlab.com). The Health Lab collaborates with innovators and entrepreneurs to create sustainable, commercially viable businesses that solve health-related problems. The goal is to fully support innovators who tackle an exceptional, untapped opportunity related to health and wellness.
He received his undergraduate degree from Cornell University, a law degree from Fordham University, a Master of Public Health from Florida International University, and a Ph.D. in Public Health from Florida International University.
– Yeh, M. C., Platkin. C, Estrella. P , MacShane, C., Allinger, D., Elbaum, R. Keeney, M., Brumaru, B. and Wyka, K. (2016) “Chocolate Preferences and Its Relation to BMI and Health Status in College Students” J Obes Weight Loss (2016)
– Platkin. C, Yeh, M. C., Estrella. P , MacShane, C., Allinger, D., Elbaum, R. Keeney, M., Brumaru, B. and Wyka, K. (2016) “Milk Consumption and Health Beliefs and Its Relation to BMI in College Students” J Obes Weight Loss, 1: 002
– Cohen, N., Platkin, C. (2015)“Uberize the U.S. Health Care System.” US News and World Report. May. Retrived from http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/policy-dose/2015/05/21/how-the-uber-model-could-transform-us-health-care
– Platkin, C., Yeh, M. C., Fishman, J., and Kelvin, EA.( 2015) “The Use of Calorie Information and Exercise Equivalents on Vending Machine Sales in a Public, Urban University.” International Journal of Nutrition and Dietetics 2.2 (2014): 75-85. Web. 3 May. <http://www.pphmj.com/abstract/8854.htm
– Platkin, C., Yeh, M. C., Hirsch, K., Wiewel, E. W., Lin, C. Y., Tung, H. J., & Castellanos, V. H. (2014). The effect of menu labeling with calories and exercise equivalents on food selection and consumption. BMC Obesity, 1(1), 21.
– Yeh, M. C., Platkin, C., Fishman, J., Fuentes, L., Parikh, N. (2014) Restaurant Management Views on the New National Menu Labeling Law in the U.S. International Journal of Nutrition and Dietetics. 2.1: 1-18.
– Platkin, C., Yeh, M., & Kelvin, E. (2012) Effectiveness of Exercise Equivalents and Calorie Information on Vending Machine Usage among College Students. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 112(9), A 64-A 64. Retrieved May 6, 2015, from http://www.andjrnl.org/article/S2212-2672(12)01031-3/abstract
– Platkin, C. (2014) Cereal Survey with Health Ratings, Author. The cereal investigation ranks and provides each of the 301 cereals a health score (using 19 criteria), the survey also includes separate rankings for calories, sodium and sugar, as well as investigation averages. See: http://www.dietdetective.com/cereal.pdf
– Platkin, C.(2000 – Present) Airline Snacking and Onboard Food Survey with Health Ratings, (Annual) Author. The survey of North American airlines’ menus is completed annually analyzing the foods served on board in domestic coach. The rubric for the ratings include: Airline Compliance Rating cooperation of Airline; Calorie Levels (Average Calories Per Package Food or Serving); Variety of Offerings / Meals and Snacks or only snacks; Number of Healthy Offerings; Health Improvement (Improvement from Last Year). The results are reported each year in hundreds of publications and media outlets including: USA Today, Huffington Post, Chicago Sun-Times, NY Daily News, Vancouver Sun and others. See: http://www.dietdetective.com/weekly-column/dietdetectivecom-annual-airline-food-investigation-health-ratings-2014
– Platkin, C. (2009) Think before you eat: Calories and exercise equivalents presented on menus at point-of-choice. ProQuest ETD Collection for FIU. Paper AAI3394821.
– Platkin, C.S., Frindell, K. Think before you eat: A six month worksite program to increase nutrition and physical activity. Oral Presentation at 134th Annual APHA Meeting, “Successful Strategies in Worksite Health Promotion” November 4-8, 2006, Boston, MA.
– Platkin, C.S., Barraclough, T. Think Before You Eat. Poster Presentation at Florida’s Public Health Association’s 2004 Joint Annual Educational Meeting & Trade Show: Building an Environment for Healthy Communities, July 26-30, 2004, Orlando, FL.
Platkin, Charles S. (2002-Present), The Diet Detective, A syndicated nutrition and fitness column which appears in more than 100 daily newspapers and media outlets
–Platkin, C, Link, A., & Kwan, A. (2017). The digital revolution and its potential impact on depressive disorders. In N. Cohen (Ed.), Public health perspectives on depressive disorders. Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press.
– Platkin, Charles (2012), The Diet Detective’s All American Diet, New York, Rodale Books
– Platkin, Charles (2011), The Diet Detective’s Diet Starter Kit, New York, Diversion Books
– Platkin, Charles S (2008), The Diet Detective’s Calorie Bargain Bible, New York, Simon and Schuster/Pocket Books (Mass Market edition)
– Platkin, Charles S (2007), “Per Se, Per Calorie,” New York Magazine, June
– Platkin, Charles S (2007), The Diet Detective’s Calorie Bargain Bible, New York, Simon and Schuster/Fireside
– Platkin, Charles S (2006), The Diet Detective’s Count Down, New York, Simon and Schuster/Fireside
– Platkin, Charles S (2006), Breaking the Fat Pattern. New York: Penguin/Plume
– Platkin, Charles S (2006), Lighten Up. New York: Penguin/Razorbill
– Platkin, Charles S. (2004), The Automatic Diet: The Proven 10-Step Process for Breaking Your Fat Pattern and Staying Fit Forever. New York: Hudson Street Press division of Penguin Group USA.
– Platkin, Charles S. (2001) (2005), Breaking the Pattern: The 5 Principles You Need to Remodel Your Life. New York: Red Mill Press; New York: Plume (paperback)
Diet Detective TV Show Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVxGgW6YXTw
Diet Detective Information: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Fh6r8QTU5Ds
Diet Detective Featured on ABC News Nightline: https://youtu.be/JT9P7dRIiVo
Diet Detective on Mike and Juliet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGtBMJBSrwQ
Diet Detective on Rachel Ray: http://iwellsolutions.com/platkin/rachelray.php.htm
Meet the Diet Detective: http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid271548328?bctid=19896554001
Diet Detective on Dr. Oz Show: http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/diet-detective-low-calorie-spaghetti-and-meatballs